Sunday, November 11, 2012

ACTIVE AFTER 50


My second Ironman was on my 50th birthday in 2008 and I'm moving into the 55 to 59 year old age group in 2013, so I was thinking about a late season Ironman as a goal for 2013. Suddenly on a Friday in June I saw that the Inaugural Ironman Lake Tahoe was announced for Sept. 22, 2013 and registration would be opening the following Monday June 18, 2012 at noon. I had the weekend to mull it over, or more truthfully: rationalize it to myself.
 
Over the weekend I thought about the Pros and Cons:

PRO
CON
The bike to run transition and finish line will be in Squaw Valley where we have a condo, making it more convenient and inexpensive than another option like Ironman Cozumel
The lowest elevation is above 6,000 feet and I live at sea level
I could train on the course
My husband isn't crazy about me doing another Ironman
My husband could comfortably hang out at his second home and just pop out to finish line
I was thinking about a November Ironman and a September Ironman might interfere with the ski season
I would be at the young end of my age group
It’s hilly and it would be hard.

Over the consideration weekend I went for a bike ride with one of my training partners who I affectionately refer to as the Three C’s. This C, although she didn’t want to join me, was enthusiastic about me doing it and she would even come and volunteer; something about doing body marking on ironman triathletes. (Body marking is writing the race number and age on the athletes' arms and legs.)

Monday at noon, I got a text message from C reminding me to sign up before the race sold out. Soon after I received her text I was in.  The race sold out in 19 hours, so I am grateful for her reminder. 

I’ve been doing triathlons for about 12 years now and have been pretty much self guided until I sought out the help of a nutritionist in 2009. His expert advice made a tremendous difference in my performance and I started to get on the podium more often than not in local races. It’s a nice bonus to everything else I get out of participating in this sport.  The Ironman branded races attract a pretty competitive crowd and even with the improvements I’ve made, I typically finish in the middle of the pack of my age group in their races. So here it is in black and white for the world to see: “I’d like to do better than finish in the middle of the pack.” In order to have a chance of doing that, I determined that I need a coach.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear your journey to IM Lake Tahoe. It seems like a tough course, but also sounds like one of the most beautiful. Makes for a great, humbling experience. Good luck on your training!

    ReplyDelete